These are a staple of our household, I must make them twice a month, and they always go down a treat.
Don’t be overwhelmed by how long this process takes, it is actually very low effort, and so worth the time spent on this. You can choose whatever type of filling you want, just remember to add more of what you want to garnish on the top!
(for the dough)
1 sachet of Quick Action Yeast
400ml Hazelnut Milk ( I used Innocent) ( or any other type of nut milk)
Pinch of Salt
100g Soft Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
300g Self Raising Flour
100g Buckwheat Flour
100g Salted Butter, Melted
(for the filling)
200g Dark Chocolate, Melted
2 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
1 handful of Hazelnuts
7 Fat Strawberries, finely sliced
1) Warm the hazelnut milk to room temperature, and add the sachet of yeast . Leave to the side for 10 minutes to allow the year to start activating and bubbling. In a large bowl , shift in HALF of your flours, and the full measurements of sugar, salt, melted butter and vanilla essence, stir to combine. Then add your yeast mixture.
2) If you have a Kenwood Mixture Or Kitchen Aid, add a dough hook attachment, and beat the dough on a high setting ( 5 minutes). If you don’t own one of these, beat with a wooden spoon for 8 minutes and then set aside. Take the other half of your saved flour, and pour on top of the dough mixture. ( This stops it forming a hard crust).
It is important to do this the night before you put this in the oven, or wait at least 4 hours for it to have risen properly. This mixture will be very runny so don’t worry.
3) Once the dough has been allowed to rise for at least 8 hours.,using a wooden spoon, mix in the flour so it forms a thick sticky dough,
Flour a surface ( 15g Flour) then turn out the dough from the bowl . Knead for 1 minute, and then roll out into a rectangle, and to a thickness of around 2 cm. Turn on your oven to 180 degrees.
4) To make the filling, simply place the chocolate into a large bowl, then melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
Once melted, add the mascarpone, icing sugar and hazelnuts, stir until thick and glossy. Slice the strawberries and set aside .
5) Using a spatula, add the chocolate hazelnut mixture, and evenly spread over the dough, then top with the sliced strawberries. Start to gently roll the dough from the widest end, ( so roll towards you) into create one tight roll.
6) Prepare a square baking tray ( around 12 inches), butter it, then start slicing the dough into 12 even pieces. Make sure you get rid of the end pieces, as they always hold the least amount of filling. Pop in the oven for 25 minutes.
7) Once they have finished cooking, take out of the oven, and leave to cool in the baking tin. Serve immediately! ( I love having mine with Earl Grey Tea and fresh strawberries).