I have always loved pushing myself when it comes to new flavours, and when I had Vegan guests to cater for at my Birthday, I was excited to create something that would rival the other cakes,
This serves four adults, ( the tin I used was only 10cm) but you can double up on the ingredients to make a normal sized cake,
(for the Cake)
250g Melted Dark Chocolate
1 Orange, ( the zest and the juice)
60g Melted Coconut Oil
100g Dark Brown Sugar
110g Self Raising Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
40g Cocoa Powder
120ml Coconut Milk
Pinch of Salt
(for the Ganache)
150g Dark Chocolate, Melted
150ml Vegan Cream
(for the Icing)
50g Vegan Butter
2 Oranges, Zest of 1 & Juice of both
110g Icing Sugar
( optional) 1/2 Teaspoon Orange Food Colouring
1) Turn on your oven to 180 degrees.
2) Grease your baking tins with coconut oil, and add 1 heaped tablespoon of Cocoa Powder, and lightly tap it around so it evenly coats the inside of your cake tin.
3) in a large mixing bowl, add your melted chocolate. orange juice, zest, melted coconut oil and coconut milk together. Whisk around until combined.
4) Sieve in your dry ingredients, ( to prevent any lumps), and gently fold together, using a spatula.
5) Add your batter to your cake tin, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until once a skewer is inserted comes out clean .Take out of the oven, and leave to cool completely in the tin.
6) To make the icing, add the butter, icing sugar, food colouring and orange zest together, and whisk until combined.Set into the fridge for 10 minutes to harden slightly.
7) To make the Ganache, simply melt the chocolate ( 30 seconds in the microwave, then stir, then further 30 seconds). Add the cream to the chocolate, and set aside for 1 minute. Using a spoon, stir together until glossy. Pop in the fridge for 2 minutes to slightly harden.
8) Once your cake is completely cooled, remove from the tin, and as evenly as you can, slice into two halves. Remove the ganache from the fridge, and add a generous amount of ganache to the top of the bottom slice of cake. Sandwich the top layer of cake on top. Using a palette knife, gently scrape ganache all the way around the cake. This doesn’t have to look pretty as this will be a crumb coat. Save a 1/3 of the ganache to decorate.
9) Using the same palette knife, scoop all of of the orange icing around the cake, then roughly scrape away to create a ‘naked’ effect. Heat the remaining ganache in the microwave for 20 seconds, and using a tablespoon, spoon onto the edge of the cake, to allow the drip effect. Top with Orange slices and serve.