One of my oldest recipes, and one I tend to make nearly every week for that ‘quick-on-the go’ snack or breakfast. These are deliciously sticky and rich, top them off with fresh cherries for that extra burst of flavour.
300g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
250g 70% Chocolate ( save 50g for later)
2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
200g Unsalted Butter
100g Dark Brown Sugar
50g Light Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Bean Paste
12 Cherries ( to top)
1) Turn on your oven to 160 Degrees. Line a rectangular baking tray with baking parchment.
2) Place a saucepan on the hob onto medium heat and add your butter, sugars, salt , honey and vanilla. Stir until it starts bubbling, and when the sugar has completely dissolved, this should take 3-4 minutes.
3) Using a blender, add the cashews, dates, sesame oil and 200g chocolate. Blend for a few minutes , so you achieve small chunky pieces.
4) In a large mixing bowl. add all of the ingredients together and stir with a wooden spoon, so it all gets evenly coated. Pour into the lined baking tray and, using the wooden spoon, try and squish the mixture down as much as possible. Bake for 35 minutes.
5) Melt the remaining 50g dark chocolate , in a bowl in the microwave ( should take around 1 minute, remember to stir in 30 second internals). When the flapjacks are out of the oven leave to cool completely before serving. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the flapjacks, and slice into pieces. Pop the cherries onto each slice, and serve immediately.